Getting Through Divorce One Day at a Time

About Me

Getting Through Divorce One Day at a Time

Pulling yourself together during a divorce isn't always easy, especially if you don't want to lose your spouse in the first place. But if your spouse doesn't feel the same about you, you need to find a way to move on. Learning what to expect during and after divorce may help you overcome the negative emotions you feel. My blog offers many tips on how to handle the challenges of divorce, child custody and alimony. By learning to cope with your impending divorce, you have the power to meet life head on and win. Good luck and thank you for visiting.

Latest Posts

Exploring the Benefits of Mediation Services
13 March 2024

Mediation services have gained popularity in recen

When to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney: A Guide
30 October 2023

Injuries happen, and it is a fact of life. However

When Should You Hire a Family Attorney? A Comprehensive Guide
8 August 2023

Family law is a broad legal field that deals with

How Much Will Child Support Payments Be?
9 May 2023

Roughly 50% of custodial parents receive child sup

Here Are Ways An Attorney Can Help You During The Divorce Process
2 March 2023

Some factors create the need for the dissolution o

5 Instances When To Seek Help From Divorce Attorneys To Amend A Decree

Are you rethinking the terms of your divorce decree and think they need amending? Then, you will need legal help. A divorce attorney can be an invaluable ally when you're trying to amend a divorce decree, whether it's because your financial circumstances have changed or because you've discovered something in the decree that wasn't true at the time it was made. Most people seek divorce decree amendments because of changes in child custody arrangements. An experienced lawyer will know exactly how to navigate the legal system to get the amendment you seek. Here are five instances when you should seek help from divorce attorneys to amend your decree. 

1. When Financial Circumstances Change

One instance where you might need to seek help from an attorney to amend your divorce decree is if there are changes in your financial circumstances. For example, if the custodial parent loses their job, they may need to request child support modifications. An attorney can help by filing the necessary paperwork and representing you in court.

2. When There Are Drastic Changes With an Impact on Children

A divorce attorney can be helpful in amending a divorce decree when drastic changes impact the children. For example, if the custodial parent becomes disabled, the attorney can help amend the decree to ensure that the children still receive adequate care.

3. When Custodial Arrangements Change Drastically

In many states, if the custodial parent wants to move, they must notify the noncustodial parent and the court. The noncustodial parent can object to the move and request a hearing. If the court finds that the move is in the child's best interest, they will grant permission for the custodial parent to relocate.

4. When There Is Child Abuse or Negligent Behavior

If you or your children were the victims of abuse or neglect during your marriage, you might want to seek the help of a divorce attorney. An attorney can help you modify your divorce decree to include provisions for supervised visitation or drug testing, for example. After the divorce, you can seek an amendment if it is proven the custodial parent is abusing or neglecting the children. 

5. When There Are Changes to State Laws That Impact Divorce

If changes to state laws impact your divorce agreement, you may need to seek an attorney's help to ensure that your decree still adheres to the law. This is especially important if you have an unusual or complex divorce agreement.

Though you and your former spouse may have hashed out most of the details in your divorce, there are some cases where it may be beneficial to seek help from a divorce attorney to amend your decree. Contact a divorce lawyer if you have recently experienced a change in income, custody arrangements, or location.